Title
Column gravestone of Jan Herain
Buried
Jan Herain
14/05/1848, Hořovice - 11/12/1914, Praha
Vladimír Herain
29. 12 1890, Praha - 02/04/1953, Praha
Date
1926: Project
1926: Construction
Architect
Kamil Hilbert
Artist
Vojta Sucharda
Investor
Společnost přátel starožitností čsl. v Praze
Type
Cemetery
Olšanské hřbitovy I.
Část hřbitova
V
Department
12
Grave
45
GPS
50.080211, 14.463603
One of the most original gravestones at Olšany was designed by Kamil Hilbert, the architect who took over the task of completing St. Vitus Cathedral from Kranner and Mocker and finished the job. Hilbert frequently collaborated with the sculptor Vojta Sucharda, who created the model for the bust of Jan Herain, cast in bronze by the Franta Anýž company, that once sat atop the monument (it has since been stolen). The architect and builder Jan Herain worked for a Prague company that specialized in the construction of distilleries and breweries (in Vinohrady, Braník, and Holešovice). But he had a passion for visiting historical monuments, studied history in his spare time, and was named municipal building archivist. He eventually left architecture and construction behind and became involved in various clubs and organizations, among them the Umělecká Beseda and the Archeology Department of the Museum of the Kingdom of Bohemia, where he contributed to the study and preservation of historical monuments. He was also a member of the Committee for the Cataloguing of Architectural, Artistic, and Historical Monuments of the Royal Capital City of Prague, which had been founded in relation to the city's slum clearance and urban renewal. At the time, there was no legal foundation for the preservation of cultural and historical heritage, making the authority of this renowned expert with a phenomenal memory all the more important. He was a founding member of the Society of Friends of Czech Antiquities and of the Club for the Old Prague. Herain also published writings on various buildings and documented new archeological discoveries. He was elected to the board of the Union for the Completion of St. Vitus Cathedral, the Union for the Renewal of the Convent of St. Agnes, and the Committee for the Renovation and Completion of Karlštejn. He also sat on the planning committees for the Jubilee Exhibition (1891), the Ethnographic Exhibition (1895), and the Exhibition of Architecture and Engineering (1898), where he initiated the construction of Marold's panorama of the Battle of Lipany. In 1926, the Society of Friends of Antiquities honored its long-time president with a unique gravestone. Hilbert created the monument from various archeological finds that had been unearthed during the study of Herain's beloved St. Vitus Cathedral. The gravestone consists of five stone layers. The lowest layer is made of solid bossage sandstone. This is followed by a layer of iron-rich red sandstone from Prince Spytihněv's triple-aisle basilica that had been built after 1060 on the site of the earlier pre-Romanesque rotunda founded by St. Wenceslas. The gravestone's third layer represents the Gothic structure that followed Spytihněv's basilica; it is a beautifully profiled piece of a cornice from the cathedral's Gothic part, renovated by the architect Kranner. The fourth section is the shaft of a Renaissance column from the cemetery cloister that once stood next to St. Vitus Cathedral. Metal letters on the shaft spell out Herain's name, his dates of birth and death, and a dedication. The final fifth layer contains a niche for a bronze bust, whose empty space attracted an unknown artist to install a mosaic of the Eye of Providence.
00:00
00:00