The first mention of the school in Lysice dates back to 1627. The lessons took place in a small house near the church and the teacher was mostly paid in kind. After the introduction of compulsory school attendance by Maria Theresa in 1774, attendance was initially low and parents were punished for not sending their children to school. The number of pupils gradually increased and lessons also took place in the town hall building. In 1805, a new school building was built, but it burned down in 1840 and was rebuilt. During the 19th century, the school gradually expanded to five classes. After the establishment of Czechoslovakia in 1922, eight-year school attendance was enacted and the maximum number of pupils per class was set. Education experienced a new development. The original school ceased to meet these requirements, and in 19255 the former manor building was adapted for the needs of a burgher school. Retirement.
However, this was still a temporary solution. After World War II, the need for a modern building led to the construction of a new school on vacant land in the castle park according to a design by architect Bohuslav Fuchs. The foundation stone was laid on May 25, 1947, with the participation of the Minister of Education, and the new building was officially opened in September for the 1951/1952 school year.
The national school was also moved to the new building, and later a youth club and a special school were established here, today part of the elementary school. The school had its own workshops and a cinema hall, and according to eyewitness accounts, drinking water fountains on each floor.
Its architecture is based on the principles of so-called emotional functionalism, which Bohuslav Fuchs adhered to at the end of the 1930s and developed further during the war years and after them, when he also drew on regional architectural tradition. The distinctive horizontal building on the slightly curved S-shaped ground floor has a dominant stone bossage, a simple facade with grid windows and regular rectangles of the cast-iron facade. Its distinctive aesthetic element is the semicircular, completely glazed staircase projection. The building is equipped with a hipped roof.
In the years 1979–1984, a gymnasium was built for the school by the school's own efforts. In the following decades, significant reconstructions took place - modernization of the heating, repair of the gymnasium roof, new classroom lighting and expansion of the school after-school club.
Lucie Valdhansová
Literature
Iloš Crhonek. Školy Jihomoravského kraje 1945-1970. Brno, Odbor školství Krajského národního výboru v Brně, 1971.
Iloš Crhonek. Architekt Bohuslav Fuchs. Celoživotní dílo. Brno, Petrov, 1995.
Zdeněk Kudělka. Bohuslav Fuchs. Praha, NČSVU, 1966.





