The Klostermann Cottage in Modrava in the Bohemian Forest was named after the late writer Karl Klostermann (1848–1923), who dedicated his work to the beauties of the Bohemian Forest. According to the Tourist Magazine, it was intended mainly “for tourists and for shorter stays”. The Cottage in Modrava was conveniently located at the crossroads of the Schwarzenberg estate. This was again a strategically chosen location, as the KČST had not yet built its own facility in the central and southern parts of the Bohemian Forest.
In 1921, Bohuslav Fuchs described the original project as follows: "The entrance divides the ground floor into a summer and winter part. The summer dining room, with two verandas facing south and east (capable of being closed and heated), provides comfortable space for 98 tourists. The winter dining room (23 seats) connected to the kitchen and the innkeeper's apartment forms one heated unit in winter. The innkeeper's farm includes a cellar, a black kitchen with an oven and a pantry, a stable, a woodshed and a yard. There is a bathhouse, showers and toilets for guests. Inn rooms: 15 rooms on the first floor, 6 rooms and two shared dormitories in the first attic, and a student dormitory in the second attic." Fuchs's project from 1921, printed in the Tourist Magazine , was much more radical, more abstract and a bit ahead of its time, rather reminiscent of his later implementation for the mountain hotel Vlčina in Frenštát pod Radhoštěm, which was created until the 1940s. In the implementation, the architect then returned to a more traditional concept. It is interesting that in the same year (1921) he developed a similar, more traditionally conceived project for the Na Padrti cottage for the KČST, which, however, was not implemented. It is possible that he ultimately based himself more on this project.
The building was built by the builder Karel Valenta from Vlachov Březí, the technical supervision of the construction was led by the architect Ladislav Machoň, a member of the KČST building commission. The foundations were made of stone, part of the ground floor was made of quarry masonry, the remaining part of the perimeter walls of the ground floor was a log structure 30 cm thick and 20 cm thick on the first floor, the builder used wood for the construction from the Schwarzenberg forests and the surrounding area.
The original internal load-bearing walls were log, 10 cm thick, all internal walls were clad with 2 cm thick boards. The roof was covered with double shingles, as were the external log walls. The staircase was also wooden. In the basement there were cellars and a refrigerator, on the ground floor there was a large summer dining room, separated by columns from a glazed veranda, a small winter dining room, a tenant's room, a kitchen, an auxiliary kitchen, two stables and a garage. On the first floor the architect placed fifteen inn rooms, in the attic two dormitories (later converted into a common dormitory and twelve rooms), in the attic two rooms for staff. The furniture according to the design of the Czech cubo-expressionist architect, set designer and designer Vlastislav Hofman was supplied by the Artěl company. Hofman was one of the founding members of this artistic and industrial cooperative, but unlike Pavel Janák or Josef Gočár, he was not a supporter of the so-called national style in the 1920s. Immediately after the establishment of the Czechoslovak Republic, he commented on this topic: “The national meaning of the contemporary movement and art is a moral requirement. … But it is certain that the national movement and national art of creation are a matter of fate. However, not everyone is made for this fate.” His “furniture for a mountain hut”, as we can see in the designs from 1922, was based more on simple cubist and even empire elements, was two-colored and only had a small detail of stylized plant decor.
The cottage was originally intended only for summer residence. It cost about 920 thousand CZK including electrification and gravity water supply.
Due to its location, the cottage served the Reich Armed Forces during World War II, then the Border Guard after the war, and later as a union recreation center for employees of the Škoda Plzeň company. The Czech Tourist Club in Sušice failed to get the cottage back in restitution. In the early 1990s, the building was closed due to poor structural conditions, but in 1996 it was declared a cultural monument. In 2002, its complete reconstruction began under the supervision of the Šumava National Park Administration, the National Institute for Monuments and other institutions. In April 2004, the cottage was put back into operation (as a luxury hotel) owned by the company Soudek, s.r.o
Markéta Svobodová
Literature
Klostermannova chata v Modravě, Šumava. In: Markéta Svobodová. Hore zdar!. Praha, Artefactum, 2020, p. 98–101. ISBN 9788088283478.
Iloš Crhonek. Architekt Bohuslav Fuchs. Celoživotní dílo. Brno, Petrov, 1995, p. 12–13.
Zdeněk Kudělka. Bohuslav Fuchs. Praha, NČSVU, 1966, p. 59.


