A small agricultural plot, which used to be located on the south-eastern edge of the Nedvědice cadastre on the road to Tišnov, found itself in an attractive location at the beginning of the 20th century. A new road was built along it to the nearby Nedvědice railway station, which was established along the railway line from Tišnov to Žďár nad Sázavou and opened in June 1905. It was in this year that the land was purchased from the Humpolíček family by Eduard Kalina (1861-1909), a master butcher and innkeeper from Nedvědice, and his wife Františka. Eduard Kalina came from a family of a drayman employed in the waterworks court and settled in Nedvědice in 1881. In the last decade of the 19th century he and his family lived in a rented flat in the manor house number 42, today's town hall, where he ran a municipal inn and butcher shop. The entrepreneurial businessman decided to build the first modern hotel in Nedvědice on the purchased land, which would be used by summer guests and tourists arriving by the new railway for local nature and sightseeing tours of Pernštejn Castle. The project was designed by architect František Brož (1867-1908), who was employed by the Tišnov firm of Osvald Životský 1832-1920) during the construction of the railway line between Tišnov and Žďár nad Sázavou, which was built between 1903 and 1905. He designed the station in Nedvědice for this construction company. The construction of the hotel was completed within a few months; the purchase contract was concluded on 7 September 1905 and at the end of May 1906 the property was registered in the cadastral register. The builder was inspired by the fashionable English-style villas, whose architectural solutions were conveyed by the architectural magazines of the time. The immediate source of inspiration was probably Jurkovič's spa architecture in Luhačovice, where František Brož realised one of his first villa buildings. This inspiration is also evidenced by Brož's own villa in Ledč nad Sázavou. The dominant feature of the three-storey hotel in Nedvědice was a prismatic tower situated in the façade, which was designed with an open entrance loggia vaulted with a cross vault, a half-timbered upper floor and topped with a high gabled roof with a cornice. Tall chimneys with canopies and gables with decoratively carved wooden elements projecting to each side contributed to the articulated silhouette of the hipped roofs. The slope of the terrain was balanced by a rubble stone base. Corner bracing and bossed window jambs were used as distinctive architectural features. On each floor, a different shape of window openings and their framing was applied, which were positioned with an emphasis on vertical axial symmetry. Towards the station there was a wooden porch on the ground floor with a terrace on the first floor. On the raised ground floor, a spacious restaurant faced the street. The entrance tower on the first floor bore the name of the Kalina Hotel, with the year 1905 on a ribbon above the entrance. As evidenced by postcards of the time, the Kalina Hotel became a new photogenic landmark of Nedvědice. Kalin's generous business plan in Nedvědice did not bring the expected profits within three years. Eduard Kalina was unable to pay his monetary obligations: sixteen thousand crowns were recovered by the Cyrillo-Methodějská záložna, the debt with František Brož was still 6,240 crowns in 1907, and other financial debts were added in the following years. The life of the builder and the first hotelier in Nedvědice ended in 1909 with a tragic event that was reported in many newspapers outside the region: forty-seven-year-old Eduard Kalina, father of nine children, shot himself during the foreclosure of his property. The same year, the hotel was bought by Alois Řezáč, a businessman, factory owner and future mayor of Tišnov. From the beginning of the summer season in 1909 the hotel and restaurant was run by Havel Pivec, an experienced restaurateur and café owner from the Živnostenský house in Prostějov. In newspaper advertisements, he attracted guests with the "beautiful romantic" landscape around Nedvědice, modern room facilities and gastronomy. Since 1908, the hotel also offered a cheaper type of accommodation - student or tourist dormitory, which were created in cooperation with the Czech Tourist Club. Shortly before World War I, Josef Kravka, who moved to Nedvědice from Vienna in 1914, became the new owner and renamed the hotel Hotel Kravka Nedvědice. For a long time the hotel near the railway station had no competition in Nedvědice, until in the late 1920s newspaper advertisements recommended two other hotels in the town, the Panský dům and U Vápeníků. In the second decade and the 1920s, the former Kalina Hotel was encumbered by mortgages that guaranteed the repayment of a large financial loan. In 1927 the hotel was bought by František Zámečník and his wife Kristýna. Nedvědice became a popular summer resort during the First Republic, and skiers came here in winter. Local hotel businesses prospered and František Zámečník expanded his accommodation capacities. In 1931, an extension designed by Jaroslav Hutar (*1877), a builder from Nedvědice, was approved. The detached ground-floor building with a pitched roof consisted of ten almost identical rooms facing the courtyard through one window and accessible from a continuous corridor. František Zámečník offered the largest accommodation capacity in the competition of hotel establishments in Nedvědice: twenty rooms and a dormitory. The hotel remained in the ownership of the Zámečník family until nationalisation, when it was handed over to the national company Restaurants and Canteens. According to the socialist evaluation of the quality of accommodation, in the seventies it was classified as category C, and was renamed Hotel U Sokolovny. Although the hotel building has undergone several alterations and repairs, it has retained its early 20th century appearance to the present day.
Prameny
Stavební archiv ÚMČ Prahy 3.








