Title
Primary School (Municipal School for Boys)
Date
Authors
Vladimír Fischer, Ing. arch. Jaroslav Ledvina
Code
N010
Type
Address
Nedvědice 80
GPS
49.456292, 16.3323
The school, documented in Nedvědice as early as 1627, moved to various buildings throughout the village until 1806, when a new school building was built in the vicinity of the rectory at the intercession of the parish priest Gabriel Mrákotský. The school building, which also served pupils from neighbouring villages, underwent a natural development during its almost 100 years of operation. The largest extension was carried out at the expense of the estate in 1835 according to the project of the master builder Jiří Jílek, in which the local master carpenter František Kägler and the locksmith Matyáš Vendolský also participated in the following years. The school served its purpose until the end of the 19th century, when the councillors, led by Mayor Jan Míček, rejected the possibility of further building modifications and decided to build a new school building. According to the existing literature, the plans for it were drawn up by an otherwise unknown engineer Antonín Vašíček, who actually signed the plans as a commissioned employee of the Moravian Governorate. However, in view of similar developments in nearby Tišnov and the subsequent relations of Mayor Míčka, it is likely that the design of the new building was created by the Brno architect Vladimír Fischer. This possibility is evidenced, among other things, by the similar stylistic starting points he used on school buildings built according to his plans in other Moravian towns, as well as his further presence on the expansion of the school building in 1912-1913 The oldest school building with a facade facing the pond is a small two-storey building on a regular rectangular plan with nine window axes, in the centre of which is a neo-renaissance portal made of marble from Nedvědice with an inset arcade flanked by two Tuscan columns bearing a profiled cornice with a segmental pediment. Above the portal, which is approached by several stair treads, there is an attic gable with a broken parapet, the width of the three central window sculptures, in the centre of which is a gable with a clock, two volute pilasters and a triangular finial. The project, completed in September 1902, was carried out by the firm of a local builder In 1912, a manifestation meeting for the establishment of a burgher school was held in Nedvědice, which was led by the mayor of Nedvědice, Míček, with the support of the regional deputies Josef Šámalík, Karel Balák and Jan Filipínský. The dramatic meeting, at which the nobleman Josef Koudela of Jelínkov was "inappropriately" insulted, ended with a resolution that led to the promotion of the school in the same year. This change required a further extension of the building, which was designed in the same style by Vladimír Fischer on the site of the neighbouring property that had been bought out. The extension, made by the builder Jaroslav Hutař, included not only classrooms but also a gymnasium and a drawing room. The school lasted in this form until 1973, when it underwent extensive repairs and modernization according to the project of the designer of the District Construction Company Žďár nad Sázavou Jaroslav Haluščák. Repairs of the internal equipment, sanitary facilities, facade including replacement of windows continued intermittently until 1979. This overhaul was intended to solve the unbearable situation when the school ceased to meet the hygiene standards due to the increasing number of pupils. At the beginning of the 1980s, the local national committee proceeded to the realization of a new school building, developed in the office of the Project and Research Institute of the BUT under the guidance of Jaroslav Ledvina, a specialist in the construction of school buildings in the South Moravian Region. The four-storey building with a reinforced concrete skeleton, connected by a neck to the older buildings, has nine windowed with admitted pillars connecting the ground and first floors. Its utilitarian yet functional design fits perfectly into the context of the not very important public buildings of the period of normalisation. The school grounds have retained their original form despite minor structural interventions and are thus a testament to the architecture of the long 20th century in Nedvědice.

Prameny

  • Stavební archiv ÚMČ Prahy 3.

00:00
00:00