An architect, builder, painter, urban planner, and historic preservationist from Eastern Bohemia, he studied civil engineering at the Prague Technical University from 1885 to 1890. He continued his studies at the Vienna Academy under Hasenauer, Lichtenfels, and Hubert. He completed his education in 1892 with a degree.
Starting in 1896, he ran a construction business in Pardubice. He lived permanently in the city from 1898 onward. In 1910, he was appointed to the position of honorary associate professor at the Episcopal Theological Seminary in Hradec Králové and became the Imperial-Royal conservator in Pardubice. He participated in the competition for the master plan of the city of Pardubice (beginning in 1908) and, at the same time, restored several 16th-century monuments in the city. He collaborated with the painter Mikoláš Alš, Vilém Amort, Bohumil Urban, and later also with his son-in-law Miloslav Baš on the decoration of a large number of primarily residential buildings. His style revealed a strong inspiration from historical styles. He drew most heavily on the Pernštejn Renaissance and the late Gothic. At the turn of the 1920s and 1930s, his work shifted toward purist forms of architecture.
MB
Other Selected Works
The Na Větrníku Pavilion at the Czechoslovak Ethnographic Exhibition in Prague (1895)
The apartment building of JUDr. Josef Štolba (1897), Smilova 307, Pardubice
Bóži Dvořák’s (Messany’s) villa (1900–1901), Bulharská St. No. 119, Pardubice
Citizens’ Savings Bank in Pardubice (1901), Pernštýnské Square No. 55
The villa of Bóži and Emilie Dvořák (1901–1902), Bulharská St. No. 258, Pardubice
Apartment building (1901), U Divadla St. No. 621, Pardubice
Renovation of the Premonstratensian monastery in Želiv (1907)
Restoration of the Church of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary in Pardubice (1905–1906)
Reconstruction and completion of St. Bartholomew’s Church in Pardubice (1911–1912)
Construction of the nave of St. Sigismund’s Church in Sopotnice (1912)
Church of St. Adalbert in Dolany (1913–1914)
Kamenná Villa (1913–1923), U Kamenné vily No. 144, Pardubice
Church of St. Nicholas in Proseč (1913–1914)
Literature
- Encyklopedie architektů, stavitelů, zedníků a kameníků v Čechách. Praha, 2004. p. 191.
