Title
Pavilion for the Surgical Treatment of Tuberculosis
(Hospital Havlíčkův Brod, Department of Follow-up Care and Rehabilitation)
Date
1930: Project
Karel Roštík (Architect)
1930-1933: Construction
70. léta 20. století: Project
not identified (Architect)
70. léta 20. století: Extension / Construction modifications
not identified (Builder)
2015: Project
2016: Reconstruction / Revitalization
Kraj Vysočina (Investor)
Type
Address
Husova 2623
GPS
49.609119, 15.570738

The first director of the district hospital, Dr František Zahradnický, was one of the leading pioneers in the surgical treatment of bone and joint tuberculosis. Due to the high number of patients affected by this form of TB and the lack of specialized treatment facilities in Bohemia, he proposed in 1922 the establishment of a separate department for the treatment of ‘bone’ tuberculosis within the Německý (Havlíčkův) Brod District Hospital complex. For this purpose, the large infectious diseases pavilion, built in 1916 on the western side of the hospital grounds in connection with Galician refugees being housed in the town, was adapted. It contained eight rooms with 53 beds and a fully equipped operating theatre.

However, the existing capacity and technical facilities soon proved insufficient for the number of patients. The new hospital director, Dr Pavel Trnka, therefore proposed the construction of a building for 100 patients. The district committee initially commissioned senior construction councillor Josef Weingärtner (1886–1953) and Mr Lusteld of the Provincial Political Administration to prepare the design. However, their proposals were rejected and at the beginning of 1930, the district council commissioned a new project from architect Karel Roštík (1884–1969). Following the establishment of Czechoslovakia, Roštík specialized in designing social and hospital buildings and also had experience with tuberculosis pavilion designs, including for the Na Bulovce Hospital (1927). In Jihlava, in the second half of the 1920s, he had constructed a modern surgical pavilion with a monolithic reinforced concrete frame and brick infill, the principles of which he applied in Německý (Havlíčkův) Brod.

In March 1930, Roštík presented a functionalist design for a three-storey building with smooth facades and projecting risalits. The southern elevation was emphasised by open risalits and sun terraces on the top floor, allowing patients to spend extended periods in the fresh air. The project, reduced to 60 beds, was approved by the Ministry of Health and commissioned to the local J. Šupich construction firm, which completed the building—co-financed by the Central Social Insurance Company—before the end of 1932. The ceremonial opening took place on 15 January 1933.

After the tuberculosis department was relocated to Jevíčko, the building was adapted in the 1970s for the orthopaedic department. The open third floor was walled in, losing its original therapeutic function. Following the transfer of the district hospital to the administration of the regional office in Jihlava, there were plans either to demolish or adapt the pavilion for the regional library (HB-4344). These plans were never implemented and the building remained intact.

In 2015, Lenka Jakšová designed a reconstruction of the pavilion to accommodate the pulmonary and long-term care departments. The unsatisfactory third floor was demolished and replaced with a new one, the building was cleared of later additions, and a new facade was installed.

Despite these modifications, the pavilion remains a testament to the modern hospital architecture of the early 1930s, a period marked by the abandonment of historicist forms in favour of the restrained, functional, modernist approach of the interwar era.

Aleš Veselý, 2025

Literature

  • Almanach ke stému výročí Okresní nemocnice v Havlíčkově Brodě. Havlíčkův Brod, Tobiáš, 1996, p. 56-59.

  • Okresní všeobecná veřejná nemocnice v Německém Brodě, In: Technický obzor. 1899, VII, p. 4.

  • Michaela Pacher. Areál staré nemocnice Všeobecná nemocnice – chirurgický pavilon – hospodářský pavilon – Okresní soud – Krajský soud, In: Jihlavský architektonický manuál. Available from: https://jam.jihlava.cz/objekt/20-areal-stare-nemocnice. [accessed 27. 8. 2025]

  • Dana Schlaichertová. Architektura a urbanismus Havlíčkova Brodu 1848-1938. Olomouc, Katedra teorie a dějin umění FF UP, 1998, Diplomová práce, p. 71-72.

  • Martin Strakoš. Karel Roštík, In: Plzeňský architektonický manuál. Available from: https://pam.plzne.cz/architekt/57-karel-rostik. [accessed 27. 8. 2025]

Prameny

  • Státní okresní archiv Havlíčkův Brod, fond Okresní úřad Německý Brod. karton 170.

00:00
00:00