Title
The Havlíček House
(Museum of Art and Museum of the Vysočina Region in Havlíčkův Brod)
Date
1956: Project
Alois Kubíček (Architect)
1956: Construction
not identified (Builder)
1986: Project
Jan Klimeš (Architect)
Type
Address
Havlíčkovo náměstí 19
GPS
49.607386, 15.57871

The Havlíček House was renovated several times during the 20th century, which is reflected in its present appearance. It now houses an exhibition dedicated to Karel Havlíček Borovský, as well as temporary exhibitions organized by the Gallery and Museum of the Vysočina Region in Havlíčkův Brod.

The house is located in the northwest corner of Havlíček Square and, like the other houses on the square, stands on a narrow Gothic plot. A distinctive architectural feature that marks this house out from the other buildings on the square is the corner bay window built in the first half of the 17th century together with the addition of a floor by the owner at the time, Tobiáš Roland. In 1832, the house was acquired by Matěj Havlíček, father of the writer Karel Havlíček Borovský, who had the rear wing renovated in 1846. After a fire in 1860, which burned down three neighbouring houses on Horní street, it acquired its current neo-Gothic facade. The design was by local builder Martin Urban.

The family owned the house until 1880, when Karel Havlíček’s mother, Josefa, sold it to the Municipal Savings Bank, which added further decorative elements to the facade before the end of the 19th century. In 1920, the town wanted to acquire a prestigious building for the town museum, so it exchanged Havlíček’s house with the savings bank for house no. 56, where several rooms were then arranged to accommodate the museum’s collections.

On the 100th anniversary of Havlíček’s death in 1956, extensive renovations were carried out at the expense of the State Heritage Preservation Authority, during which the facade was restored to its 1861 appearance and the entire house was sensitively adapted for the Karel Havlíček Borovský Museum and his residence. The project was designed by architect and conservationist Alois Kubíček, while the Havlíček exhibition was entrusted to architect and scenographer Miroslav Pelc, who realised its artistic design and oversaw the installation of exhibits transported from the Havlíček exhibition held in 1956 at the National Museum in Prague. The museum was officially opened on 4 November 1956.

By the early 1980s, the building was in a state of disrepair. The compromised structural integrity and overall poor condition required complete renovation, which, despite the museum management’s urgings, was not undertaken until the second half of the 1980s. According to a 1986 design by architect Josef Klimeš, the gables were reinforced using the methods available at the time, new ceilings were installed on the second and third floors, and the roof truss and roof cladding were replaced in the rear wing, and the demolished gallery was replaced with a new one. The interiors not used for exhibitions were partitioned for use in the running of the museum, including storage rooms, warehouses and toilets, while the main entrance was relocated to Havlíčkova street. The last major interior renovations took place in 1992, when architect Klimeš converted the attic into offices for specialist staff.

Aleš Veselý, 2025

Literature

  • Alois Kubíček. Obnova domu Karla Havlíčka Borovského v Havlíčkově Brodě, In: Zprávy památkové péče. Praha, Státní pedagogické nakladatelství, 1957, p. 181-183.

Prameny

  • Městský úřad Havlíčkův Brod, archiv Stavebního úřadu. č. p. 19.

  • Jan Muk, Otakar Vácha. Havlíčkův Brod čp. 19, stavebně historický průzkum. Praha, 1983.

00:00
00:00