Title
Hospital Chapel of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Date
1895: Project
Karel Pokorný (Architect)
1896–1897: Construction
1994: Project
M. Rumlová (Project Designer)
1995: Construction
Ludmila Jandová (Visual Artist)
František Janda (Visual Artist)
Martin Janda (Visual Artist)
Type
Address
Husova 2122
GPS
49.608693, 15.571872

An integral part of the Havlíčkův Brod hospital complex is the Chapel of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. The building, which has changed functions several times over its history, was converted into a chapel in the mid-1990s and fitted with furnishings created by the Janda family of artists from Osík near Litomyšl.

The district hospital was built between 1896 and 1897 on Prempír Hill, west of the centre of Německý (Havlíčkův) Brod, to provide healthcare for the town and surrounding area. The original complex, designed by engineer Karel Pokorný of the technical department of the Provincial Committee of the Kingdom of Bohemia, consisted of four buildings: the main hospital building, an infectious diseases pavilion, an administrative block with a kitchen and laundry, and a mortuary.

Care for the patients was provided not only by the medical staff but also by nuns from the Congregation of the Grey Sisters of the Third Order of St Francis. They lived in the administrative building, where a hospital chapel was established for their use and consecrated on 22 February 1898. The chapel likely served its purpose until the 1950s, after which it was decommissioned and its furnishings, including a Marian altar, were transferred to the nearby castle in Věž.

In the early 1990s, the hospital management, led by the director Dr Karel Přibyl, considered rebuilding a chapel within the hospital complex. The former mortuary building was selected for this purpose; it was constructed on a Greek cross plan with a glazed cupola allowing daylight into the interior. The building, also used as an autopsy and funeral preparation room, had been converted in the 1950s into a storage facility for supplies, during which the western wing was demolished. In 1994, the structural engineer M. Rumlová drew up a project restoring the original Greek cross layout. The reconstruction was carried out by the hospital’s construction team, led by Jan Kotlas under the supervision of Vladimír Matějka.

The decoration of the chapel was initiated by the then head of pathology, Dr Jan Betlach, who commissioned the Janda family from Osík near Litomyšl. The chapel’s fittings were the result of collaborative artistic work. The painter and graphic artist Ludmila Jandová (1938–2008) produced fourteen pastels for the Stations of the Cross (1996), having created an oil-painted version a year earlier for the Church of the Holy Spirit in Hradec Králové. Her husband František Janda (1931–2015) crafted a massive altar table from an oak trunk, as well as the altar cross and the Eye of God from metal. The interior was further complemented by altar candlesticks and benches made by their son, Martin Janda (born 1970).

The ecumenical chapel was consecrated on 22 October 1995 by Abbot Vít Tajovský of Želiv together with Bishop Vratislav Štěpánek from the Czechoslovak Hussite Church. Today, it is used by the Old Catholic Church and is permanently accessible to hospital patients as well as the general public.

Aleš Veselý, 2025

Literature

  • Almanach ke stému výročí Okresní nemocnice v Havlíčkově Brodě. Havlíčkův Brod, Tobiáš, 1996, p. 75.

  • Okresní všeobecná veřejná nemocnice v Německém Brodě, In: Technický obzor. 1899.

  • Zuzana Tomanová. Obraz člověka v hlubotiscích Ludmily Jandové. Brno, Seminář dějin umění FF MU, 2012, Diplomová práce, p. 29.

Prameny

  • Osobní rozhovor s MUDr. Janem Betlachem, bývalým lékařem Nemocnice Havlíčkův Brod. 25. 7. 2025.

00:00
00:00