Title
Municipal Business School
Date
1913: Project
Karel Ješina (Architect)
1913-1914: Construction
1930: Extension / Construction modifications
Prokop Šupich (Architect)
Type
Address
U Trojice 2005
GPS
49.609006, 15.580788

The turn of the 20th century was a period of rapid economic development in Německý Brod, which became a centre for trade, starch production, and the textile industry. As more trained employees were needed, the idea arose to establish a two-year business school for girls and boys with a two-class trade continuation school, which was approved by the town council in December 1908. After negotiations with the imperial ministry of culture and education, which approved the establishment of the school, teaching began in September 1909.

The school’s first location was the former building of the deconsecrated Chapel of St Barbara, next to the Municipal Boys’ and Girls’ School on what is now Rubeš Square. From the outset, these premises were considered only temporary, and the school board sought to construct a new building for one hundred students.

They took the preparations seriously, requesting building plans from České Budějovice and Hořice. After negotiations with the town leadership as the investor, the town council approved the construction in 1913. From several possible sites, a plot belonging to the Štáfl family, which included a house at No. 5 near the newly built elementary school, was purchased for the project. The construction of the business school thus completed the new Školská street, closing it off toward Budoucnost Park.

The business school was designed by local architect Karel Ješina as a three-storey building. Its corner location was reflected in the floor plan of the building in which two wings extending from the main entrance area define the street lines of both streets. Ješina placed cellars and the caretaker’s accommodation in the basement. The first floor was intended for two classrooms and an art room, while the second floor housed a library, a classroom, a commodity science lab, a drama classroom, and the principal’s office with a staff room. The building was constructed by the Josef Šupich company and was approved for use in September 1914.

Due to the growing number of students, it had to be expanded in 1930. Instead of the planned addition of one floor, an extension of the east wing was built according to a design by Prokop Šupich, using the artistic forms of the original design. The facade remained accentuated with rusticated bands on the ground floor and window cornices were used on the upper floor to enhance the artistic effect. The town’s coat of arms was depicted on the west wing.

The building remained essentially unchanged until the 1980s. Between 1986 and 1987, due to the increasing number of students, a four-storey extension with a flat roof was built in the rear wing to house changing rooms, classrooms, offices, toilet and washing facilities for students and teachers, and the principal’s office.

In 2006, the business school merged with the hotel school and the students moved to a larger building in the Žižkov district. The building was then abandoned. Ten years later, in 2016, the 1980s extension was removed and the town put the school up for sale. A buyer was not found until 2025, when the building was transferred to the Havlíčkův Brod Regional Charity, which plans to create a centre called the House of the Virgin Mary, where it will consolidate a number of its operations and services for the public in one place.

Aleš Veselý, 2025

Literature

  • Almanach Střední ekonomické školy v Havlíčkově Brodě 1909-1969. Havlíčkův Brod, 1969, p. 16-18.

  • Josef Florian Olša. Z dějin a památností Německého Brodu. Německý Brod, Novina, 1935, p. 99.

  • Miloš Tajovský. Městská obchodní škola. In: Aleš Veselý (ed.). Příběhy brodských domů. Havlíčkův Brod, Galerie výtvarného umění v Havlíčkově Brodě, 2016, p. 66-69. ISBN 978-80-904726-9-3.

Prameny

  • Státní okresní archiv Havlíčkův Brod, fond Sbírka map a plánů. X/38.

00:00
00:00