The Old Town Hall, standing on foundations dating back to the 13th century, underwent a complex architectural evolution, in which fires played a crucial role. After the fire of 1662, a third building was added to the original pair of houses that had formed the original reeve’s residence, and following another fire in 1834, the interiors and roof structure underwent major reconstruction. Over the centuries, the building also changed its function several times, which was reflected in its spatial layout.
From 1850, the building housed the district court, and after World War II it was used as a fire station and for storage. In the 1960s, the Old Town Hall was vacated, and in 1969 plans were drawn up for a major renovation. According to a project by Glark Breda from the Havlíčkův Brod Design Centre, the building was adapted to accommodate the district library and the offices of the Municipal National Committee. A wine bar was added in the former brewery cellars beneath the town hall.
The reconstruction, carried out between 1970 and 1974, involved insensitive alterations to the building’s original character: for example, the original black kitchens were removed, a new staircase was installed, the original passage from the square to the inner courtyard was walled up, and a spiral staircase from the ground floor to the wine bar was created. Due to the limited availability of materials under the socialist construction system, only what was accessible at the time could be used, resulting in the entrance hall being paved with Bulgarian marble and the roof covered with aluminium sheeting.
The complete interior design for both the library and the wine bar was by architect Oldřich Plhoň of the regional Stavoprojekt design centre in Jihlava. Plhoň was also the urban planner of the Stalingrad housing estate in Žďár nad Sázavou and the designer of the interiors of the cultural house in Nové Město na Moravě and the now heritage-protected Hotel Medlov.
The building was equipped with custom-made furniture, bespoke lighting and wrought-iron grilles for the wine bar interior; wooden reliefs and sculptures were also part of the fittings. The architectural concept of the library, developed in collaboration with its staff—in particular the former director Dr Franc—met the operational requirements, and upon its completion in 1974, the library was among the most modern district libraries in Czechoslovakia. In the same year, a ceremonial hall was opened in the main room, featuring 17th-century stucco decoration.
Following the successful reconstruction of Havlíček Square (HB-VP-R-HN) in 2011, the town administration, led by Mayor Jan Tecl, decided to continue its promising collaboration with the architectural firm of Burian-Křivinka and commissioned them to prepare a project for the renovation of the town hall, aiming to transform the building into the town’s cultural and social centre. All of the construction work took place while the Vysočina Regional Library (HB-4344) remained in operation, only relocating to the new premises in 2020.
The renovation was carried out over four phases. It began with the opening of the restaurant in the brewery cellars, which allowed for the removal of the spiral staircase to the basement and the restoration of the ground-floor room. This was followed by work on the entrance hall, where the Bulgarian marble was replaced with Lipnice granite, and the stucco decoration of the main hall on the first floor was restored. A new foyer was added in the side wing, with the attic completely rebuilt and a roof structure installed featuring continuous dormer windows. This phase also included the reconstruction of the Old Town Hall courtyard (HB_pc 3619). This was followed by repairs to the main facade and roof structure, as well as the replacement of the roofing. The final phase, initiated after the library vacated the building, focused on the remaining interiors. The former passageway was converted into a gallery, which leads to a historical exhibition of the town. A new lift, connecting the ground and first floors, was installed, requiring the removal of some original load-bearing structures. On the first floor, a multi-purpose educational hall was created. The entire building was fitted with modern furniture and bespoke lighting.
During the renovation, a number of project adjustments were made when the original construction layers were uncovered. By removing the inappropriate additions from the second half of the 20th century and carefully integrating modern elements, the architectural firm of Burian-Křivinka carried out a masterful restoration of this historic building. The comprehensive renewal of the town hall is the result of exemplary collaboration between the client, the architect and the heritage authorities, and has received numerous accolades from both the professional community and the general public. The building was declared a national cultural monument in 2024.
Aleš Veselý, 2025
Literature
Aleš Burian, Jana Tichá. Burian - Křivinka: architekti 2009-2019. Brno, Books & Pipes, 2019, p. 108. ISBN 978-80-7485-204-6.
Kompletní obnova Staré radnice v Havlíčkově Brodě, In: Národní památkový ústav. Available from: https://www.npu.cz/cs/opravujete-pamatku/inspirujte-se/34228-kompletni-obnova-stare-radnice-v-havlickove-brode. [accessed 14. 8. 2025]
Vladislava Říhová, Zuzana Křenková. Sochy a města. České umění 50.–80. let 20. století ve veřejném prostoru: evidence, průzkumy a restaurování, In: Sochy a města. Available from: https://sochyamesta.cz/
Prameny
Osobní rozhovor s Liborem Honzárkem, místostarostou Havlíčkova Brodu. 26. 8. 2025.
Městský úřad Havlíčkův Brod, archiv Stavebního úřadu. č. p. 87.
Státní okresní archiv Havlíčkův Brod, fond Městský národní výbor Havlíčkův Brod. karton 58, 59.




































































